CritiqueMatch LLC (“CritiqueMatch
”, or “us
Your use of the Web Properties is also governed by the Terms of Service located at /terms-of-service
Types of Information Collected
CritiqueMatch and any third party that we hire for the purpose of administering, operating, hosting, configuring, designing, maintaining and providing internal support for our Web Properties may collect two types of information when you visit the Web Properties: Personal Information and Usage Information.
The types of information that we collect may include, among other things, the following categories of information (collectively, “Personal Information
- contact information (e.g., your name, address, phone number, email address);
- demographic information (e.g., date of birth, location);
- writing information (e.g., your pen name/nickname);
- your interests (e.g., genres of interest, your favorite books and authors);
- banking information (e.g., bank account and credit/debit card numbers, and billing address information); and
- other information specific to you.
You are not required to provide any of this information, but if you choose not to provide certain information, we may not be able to provide you with the requested service. For example, in order to connect with other users who can comment on and analyze your work, you will need to submit Personal Information to create an account and profile (your “Profile
The types of usage information that we collect may contain generic information about you when you visit the Web Properties, which may include, among other things, the following categories of information (collectively, “Usage Information
- Internet Protocol (or IP) address or device ID/UDID, protocol and sequence information;
- browser language and type;
- domain name system requests;
- browsing history (such as, time spent at a domain, time and date of your visit) and number of clicks;
- http headers, and operating system and fingerprinting data; and
- aggregated information.
How Information Is Collected
We may collect Personal Information and Usage Information about you from the following sources:
- the correspondence you and others send to us, including when you complete any online forms or send us an email;
- information we receive from you through the Web Properties and as a result of your use of our services, such as when you create a Profile;
- information about your transactions with, or services performed by, us, our affiliates or nonaffiliated third parties;
- information we receive from your computer or mobile device;
- information we receive from our affiliates, partners or service providers; and
- information we receive from other sources, as permitted by applicable laws, rules and regulations.
You may be able to sign up to join our mailing list. If you sign up, we may from time to time send you an email newsletter or other literature with information about one or more of our Web Properties and general information about us. You can unsubscribe from our newsletter at any time by the means set forth in that communication.
We may collect Usage Information from you in the following ways:
Web Beacons: Some of our web pages and electronic communications may contain images, which may or may not be visible to you, known as Web Beacons (sometimes referred to as “clear gifs”). Web Beacons collect only limited information that includes a cookie number; time and date of a page view; and a description of the page on which the Web Beacon resides. These Web Beacons do not carry any Personal Information and are only used to track usage of the Web Properties and activities associated with the Web Properties.
Unique Identifier: We may assign you a unique internal identifier to help keep track of your future visits. We may use this information to gather aggregate demographic information about our visitors, and we use it to personalize the information that you see on the Web Properties and some of the electronic communications you receive from us. We keep this information for our internal use.
Use of Collected Information
Information collected by us may be used for the following primary purposes:
When Information Is Disclosed and Shared
- To provide products and services to you or any affiliate or third party who is obtaining services on your behalf or in connection with a transaction involving you.
- To improve our products and services.
- To personalize your experience on the Web Properties.
- To communicate with you and to inform you about CritiqueMatch’s, our affiliates’ and third parties’ products and services.
- To connect you with other writers and users who can critique your work.
- To help protect the integrity of the Web Properties and our users.
We might disclose Personal Information and/or Usage Information when required by law or in the good- faith belief that such disclosure is necessary:
- To comply with legal processes and applicable law.
- To take precautions against liability and respond to any claim that any information provided by you violates the rights of a third party.
- To assist government enforcement agencies.
- To protect our rights, property, or the safety or the rights, property, or personal safety of our visitors and the public, which includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction, and, if required by law, disclosing information to U.S. federal and state governmental agencies.
- To investigate potential unauthorized access or misuse of the Web Properties.
- To otherwise enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements.
We reserve the right to transfer your Personal Information, as well as any information about or obtained from you, in connection with the merger, sale or other disposition of all or part of our business and/or assets, or in the event of our bankruptcy, reorganization, insolvency, receivership, or an assignment for the benefit of our creditors. You expressly agree and consent to the use and/or transfer of the foregoing information in connection with any of the above described proceedings. We cannot and will not be responsible for any breach of security by any third parties or for any actions of any third parties that receive any of the information that is disclosed to us. We may disclose your Personal Information for any purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information. We may also disclosure your Personal Information with your permission or as directed by you.
While we may provide certain encryption technologies and use other reasonable precautions to protect your confidential information and provide suitable security, we do not and cannot guarantee or warrant that any information transmitted through the Internet is secure, or that such transmissions are free from delay, interruption, interception or error.
The Web Properties may make available chat rooms, blogs, and message boards. Please remember that any Personal Information or other information that you disclose in these areas, whether intentionally or inadvertently, becomes public information, and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose any information, including, but not limited to, your Personal Information.
Information from Children
Privacy Outside the Web Properties
We may use the services of third party service providers to process transactions on our behalf. By using our Web Properties, you grant us all necessary rights and consents under applicable laws to disclose to our third party service providers -- or allow those third party service providers to collect, use, retain and disclose to us -- any Personal Information for purposes of providing services to you, including data that we may collect directly from you using cookies or other similar means.
European Union Users
If applicable, you may have the following rights under some circumstances, as follows: (1) you may request information about what Personal Information we have about you; (2) you may request rectification, deletion, and limitation of the processing of your Personal Information as long as this is legally permissible and possible within the framework of an existing contractual relationship; (3) you have the right to transfer the Personal Information that you have provided to us on the basis of a consent or a contract; and (4) if you have given us consent for Personal Information processing, you can revoke it at any time in the same manner that you granted it. Please remember that the revocation of consent does not affect the legality of the processing done before you revoked your consent.
Choices with Your Personal Information and Opting Out
Whether you submit any Personal Information to us is entirely up to you. You are under no obligation to provide any Personal Information to us. However, this information is essential for the provision and quality of some of the services that we offer to you, so we cannot provide you with certain services or provide you with access to certain features if you choose to withhold requested information.
You may choose to prevent us from disclosing or using your Personal Information under certain circumstances (“opt out
Please note that making such requests does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content. For example, we may retain the information for our own internal records, and it is also possible that a third party that we do not own or control may copy the posting and repost it elsewhere.
Access and Correction
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents who provide certain personally identifiable information in connection with obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us (once per calendar year) information about the information that we shared (if any) with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared information for the immediately prior calendar year. To obtain this information, please send an email message to
with "Request for California Privacy Information" in the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your email address in response. Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the “Shine the Light” requirements, and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
Under California Civil Code Section 1789.3, California residents who use the Web Properties are entitled to the following consumer rights notice: The Web Properties are owned and/or operated by CritiqueMatch. Unless otherwise expressly stated, the Web Properties are provided without charge. If you have a question or complaint regarding the services or products provided through the Web Properties, please send an email to
. You may also contact us by writing to us at 322 W 52nd Street #711 New York, NY 10019 or by calling us at (413) 471-9858. California residents may reach the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by mail at 1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N 112, Sacramento, CA 95834, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.
“Do Not Track” Signals
Note that your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to websites and online services that you visit. Like many websites and online services, we currently do not alter our practices when we receives a “Do Not Track” signal from a visitor’s browser. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” you may wish to visit www.allaboutdnt.com
If you have questions or comments or would like to access your Personal Information or opt out of certain sharing, please let us know by sending your comments or requests to:
322 W 52nd Street #711
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (413) 471-9858
Copyright © 2019. CritiqueMatch LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Effective as of: October 12, 2018
Last updated: October 12, 2018